pin it button

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Embossing Techniques and Instructions

As you know (and if you don't, you should!) Close To My Heart's embossing folders are all the rage. During February only, if you purchase 2 packages of colored cardstock (single colors or combo packs both qualify. White Daisy or Colonial White packages don't.), you get an embossing folder ($8.95 value) absolutely free. Of course, you can also purchase as many folders as you want! You can purchase and get this deal on my website through the end of the month. Our embossing folders are 5" X 7" folders and have the most wonderful, deeply embossed designs.

Today, I thought I'd share a few fun techniques with the folders.  I have chosen to use Crystal Blue Cardstock and Twilight Ink with the Quatrefoil folder on the examples I will be showing you today with the different techniques.

Technique #1 - Plain: This is what a piece of paper looks like just simply run through your embossing machine and the folder. 


Technique #2 - Sanding:  After embossing your paper, try gently sanding it with a fine grit sandpaper. I recommend going one direction only so as not to tear your paper. Close To My Heart Cardstock has a white core, so you get a pretty white pattern. This example I have sanded quite a lot, but you can sand less for a more subtle white pattern.

Technique #3 - Ink Direct to Pattern:  After embossing, take your stamp pad and rub it directly on the raised pattern.  You can also use a sponge but I prefer the direct from the pad inking method for this look.

Technique #4 - Ink Direct to Embossing Folder: For this technique, you will want to rub your ink pad directly to the inside of the embossing folder. If you rub the positive (pokey outie) side, you'll get the look on the right. If you rub the negative side (the innie side), you'll get the look on the left.

Technique #5 - Embossing Long Strips of Paper:  Most embossing folders make that impossible, but leave it to Close To My Heart to take a great idea and take it one step further. The top of our folders have a 4 1/2 slit in them. To emboss a strip (great for a 12" x 12" layout!), place the top portion of your paper in the folder and run it through your machine. After that, pull your strip up through so that you can emboss the bottom portion. Be sure to line up your pattern with what you've already embossed.

Here is a photo of the embossing folders we carry. The designs are so versatile and right on trend.


If you don't already have an embossing machine, I suggest the Cuttlebug. That is the one that I have had for years.  I did a little looking for you and I found a killer deal on one at Walmart at this link.  Neither Cuttlebug nor Walmart are paying me for an endorsement.  I just want you to get the best machine and best deal possible. Everything you need to begin using our embossing folders will come with your machine.  By the way, the Big Shot is also a great machine.


7 comments:

Brenda said...

What a wonderful tutorial!!

Casandra Bennett said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I pinned it for later use. I've been embossing with my Cuttlebug for a couple of years, but haven't really tried anything fancy yet. Love the ink on the embossing folders technique you showed. Very easy to read and understand. The only thing I am still confused on and maybe didn't read here(?) was the video that Jill did with CTMH about the grain of paper. Still trying to figure out which way I'm supposed to put my paper in. LOL

Risa Filbey said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, Karen, and the link to a Cuttlebug. I appreciate your blog and all you do to simplify the process for us!

Unknown said...

Love your tutorial! I've never heard of the "innie or outie side of an embossing folder, but that's a cute way to remember it. I've always called it the flat or raised area. Joy

Robin6 said...

Can you cut an opening in the top of your embossing folder, if there is not one
There?

shazsilverwolf said...

Great tutorial, and a lot of fab tips. I was about to say, and it will answer Robins question, that its perfectly possible to cut a slit in the top of any embossing folder. In fact, I took this a stage further a couple of years ago, when I bought a christmas Bauble embossing folder. It was meant to give a panel in portrait mode, but I wanted to emboss straight onto my card base, which was going to be landscape. So I slit along the fold completely, then made 'hinges' at the side with masking tape. It worked perfectly too. Xx

unknown said...

Nice post and thanks for sharing this technique. The Cuttlebug is another great option. All the steps are easy to understand. We also offers embossing die sets. To get details contact us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails